Split DNS with BIND 8 with one server?

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Wed Jul 3 17:33:03 UTC 2002

I think what is being suggest is that you run two instances (servers) of
bind on the same physical systems.  Have one instance listen on an external
addresss and serve external dns and have the other listen on the internal
address and serve internal dns.  If you have turned off IP forwarding on
the system (recommended) have the internal instance "forward" to the ip of
the external instance.  This forwarding will allow internal resolvers
(using internal instance) the ability to resolve externally...

That is to say:

>            Use two servers bound to different addresses.
Means two instances of the BIND server software  bound (listening on)
different [IP] addresses...

Dave...

|         |           spammerspitter at aol.|
|         |           com.invalid        |
|         |           (SpitsOnSpammers)  |
|         |           Sent by:           |
|         |           bind-users-bounce at i|
|         |           sc.org             |
|         |           07/03/2002 03:23 AM|
  |       To:       <comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org>                                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Split DNS with BIND 8 with one server?                                                                   |

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
>SpammerSpitter at aol.com.invalid wrote:
>> Is it possible to implement a split DNS (separate internal and external
>DNS
>> name resolution) with BIND 8 using only one server?
>
>            No.
>
>> I know this is possible using the "view" option with BIND 9 but I have
>> work with BIND 8.2.3.  Any thoughts appreciated.
>
>            Use two servers bound to different addresses.

Okay.  In the interim, prior to upgrading to BIND 9.2.1, if one dispenses
with
a split-DNS configuration and uses only one DNS server which provides name
resolution for both external, routable hosts as well as internal,
non-routable
hosts (i.e. in the 10.x.y.z range), is this a breach of protocol?  Will
doing
this cause grief for external denizens of the Internet (who shouldn't be
trying
to access hostnames in that domain with internal non-routable IPs anyway)?

Note that this posting account rejects all email.  Posting to this
newsgroup is
the only way to reach me.  Email address harvesters can harvest away and be
damned.