Need suggestion about firewall and BIND 8.3.3

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Jul 15 16:14:58 UTC 2002

Michael AIG <mike_aig at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

> I want to protect both my primary and secondary DNS server with a packet
> filtering software. Any suggestion which ports should I open on both my
> primary and secondary DNS server? I also want to enable SSH and FTP on both
> servers.
> Thank you in advance!

DNS needs :
incoming 53 UDP and TCP,
outgoing any with "keep-state"

ssh needs incoming 22/TCP
outgoing any keep state

ftp is difficult, if you allow passive ftp then you'll have to allow
a large number of ports ( those that ftpd handles out) + 21 TCP

if you settle for non-passive ftp you may get around with 20 and 21 TCP
for incoming and > 1023 TCP "keep-state" for outbound.

> Regards,
> Mike

Peter Håkanson