listen-on-v6 (II part)

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jul 15 00:38:35 UTC 2002

> Hi Mark,
>
> I've followed your advices and this is the result...
>
> 	Firstly you mention 9.0.0 above.  The current release
> 	is 9.2.1.  If you don't have that release upgrade.
> 	Next run named-checkconf over your named.conf and fix any
> 	errors reported.
>
> My bind version is 9.2.0.rc (this is the output of the shell command:
>     named-checkconf -v -t /etc/ named.conf)

	Upgrade.

> 	Next you should try to start named and check the logs for
> 	errors.  Note there are some problems which only show up
> 	at runtime.  named also checks that your system libraries
> 	and kernel are in sync w.r.t. IPv6 structures.
>
> looking at the log file, everything seems OK. listen-on-v6 option
> produces the following output in the log file:
> listening on IPv6 interfaces, port 53

	Good.

> 	Next verify that named is listening on a IPv6 socket using
> 	netstat.
>
> I wasn't able to understand the output of the netstat command. (How
> should I use this command? What is the meaning of its output?

% netstat -na | grep -w 53
tcp46      0      0  *.53                   *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  130.155.191.236.53     *.*                    LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.53           *.*                    LISTEN
udp46      0      0  *.53                   *.*
udp4       0      0  130.155.191.236.53     *.*
udp4       0      0  127.0.0.1.53           *.*
%

	'netstat -na'  show all (a) the sockets numerically (n).
	'tcp46/udp46'  accept both IPv4 (mapped) and IPv6 connections.
	'tcp4/udp4'    accept only IPv4 connections.
	'tcp6/udp6'    accept only IPv6 connections.

> 	Next try to talk to named using the loopback interface using
> 	dig from the bind9 distribution.
>
> Using the dig command (dig @::1 host.domain.it AAAA) I get all the
> information about the IPv6 address related to host.domain.it
>
> I'd like to be sure that the queries used to interrogate the DNS are
> IPv6-based.

	If you tell dig to use a IPv6 address that is what it will use.

> I've tryed by using a Bouncer but unfortunately it doesn't work! Is
> there another way to do it?

	I have no idea what 'Bouncer' is.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org