DNS Resolution Issues

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 22:11:10 UTC 2002

"Timothy W. Foreman" wrote:

> We are running Solaris 8 BIND 9.2.1 name servers that are authoritative for
> our ibsys.com domain.
>
> Many of our users on the internet are having trouble resolving names on these
> servers.

The ibsys.com domain is delegated fine.

> The primary problem appears to be with the record for images.ibsys.com. (Yes,
> I know it's a chained CNAME. I can't do anything about that.)

I'd call Akamai and ask them what is happening, looks fine as
far as you've done it, but we can't diagnose your interface with
Akamai, and I don't think we can meaningfully diagnose anything
at Akamai (welcome to be proved wrong).

telnet images.ibsys.com 80

Takes me straight to an Akamai server. no hassle, no delay, but
as is the nature of the beast other may have problems if Akamai
have a problem somewhere.

> We are at the point where my boss want's to downgrade the servers to v8.x
> (thus losing the Views feature that we went to 9.x for.)

Did it clearly break on upgrading? More background....

I'd switch recursion off on the external view, as that could
potentially make it harder to troubleshoot.

The TTL on the records for ibsys.com being a sixth of the
negative time to live, seems a bit harsh, could create extra
load, but they seem responsive enough.