BIND - sorting of reverse domain.

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Wed Jul 3 12:35:46 UTC 2002

I don't think that BIND sorts the data in the db file.  The human that
types the db file is responsible for the order in which data is put into
the db file.  Slave zone backup files are another story, however.  I have
never payed much attention to slave backup files.

Dave...

|         |           "D. Stussy"      |
|         |           <kd6lvw at bde-arc.a|
|         |           mpr.org>         |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           07/02/2002 05:30 |
|         |           kd6lvw           |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  BIND - sorting of reverse domain.                                                                            |

It appears that BIND (I have version 9.2.1) sorts all its domain entries in
the
files it stores alphabetically ("machine sort order").  That's fine for the
forward domain file where domain/hostnames are usually alphabetic.
However,
for the reverse domain file, it makes more sense to sort it in NUMERICAL
value
order, thus keeping adjacent IP addresses nearer to each other.  (Of
course, I
don't care what named does internally with the zone as a memory image ....)

0            IN PTR ...
1            IN PTR ...
100          IN PTR ...
109          IN PTR ...
11           IN PTR ...
110          IN PTR ...

Isn't very intuitive as for sorting a reverse file.  I'm thinking of this
from
the point of human readable IP management.

Comments?