reverse DNS

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jul 11 00:18:43 UTC 2002

	First things first.  You need to make sure you can query
	the nameserver from the nameserver.  Try the loopback address
	first first with a non recursive query.

		dig +norec version.bind txt chaos @127.0.0.1

	Next try the external interface on the box

		dig +norec version.bind txt chaos @10.x.x.x

	Providing the nameserver is running these should get answers.
	If you don't get answers then you need to check the firewall
	on the box (ipchains and/or iptables).

	Next you need to work outward.
	From another box in you dmz try to make a query to your server

		dig +norec version.bind txt chaos @10.x.x.x

	If this doesn't work check the firewall on the test machine
	and on the nameserver.

	Then from your lan

		dig +norec version.bind txt chaos @10.x.x.x
	and/or
		dig +norec version.bind txt chaos @12.x.x.x

	depending apon where the NAT functionality is occuring.

	Then from outside

		dig +norec version.bind txt chaos @12.x.x.x

	Note: since you are using RFC 1918 (net 10) addresses you should
	also be serving the appropriate IN-ADDR.ARPA zones (10.IN-ADDR.ARPA)
	You may also want to use views to hide 10.IN-ADDR.ARPA from outside
	but keep things simple first then work up.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org