random for solaris

Steve Foster fosters at uk.psi.com
Wed Jul 3 07:44:30 UTC 2002

At 11:45 02/07/02 -0700, Nate Campi wrote:

>We shy away from the unsupported solaris kernel patches to add
>/dev/random, and use a daemon for entropy like Joe. We use prngd, a
>replacement for egd. It works well, and there's a package on
>sunfreeware.com.

Thats fair enough, i have d/loaded prngd , and it is running on my machine,
i can package this with my bind921, but how do i compile it into bind, i
presume if i start prngd as follows:

/usr/local/sbin/prngd /var/run/egd-pool

Then, i can configure bind with

./configure --with-randomdev=/var/run/egd-pool

Thus bind will then start with this as it source of entropy for generating
its key for rndc.key

Steve
Steve Foster
Senior Systems Administrator