strange messages from BIND 8.3.3

Alessandro de Manzano demanzano at playstos.com
Tue Jul 2 16:32:06 UTC 2002

On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:49:37 -0400, Tom Weathers wrote:

>I noticed just now I too am receiving burst of packets
>from the same location a204-248-36-130.deploy.-
>akamaitechnologies.com. My bursts are ALSO of
>117 messages at a time.
>
>My messages started today..moved to 8.3.3 last night.
>
>Thanks for any info.

well, according to the BIND messages list (see Mr. Treptow's answer to
my original mail) this is a malformed packet coming from a non-standard
DNS implementation.

I don't know if this means they are libc resolver bug's exploit
tentatives or simply a flawed remote DNS server...

However seems that their risk impact is low, fortunately.

We'll see how they'll evolve...

Alessandro de Manzano

Senior System & Network Administrator
Playstos - TIMA S.p.A.