Problem with BIND 9.2.1 Logging

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 2 15:22:35 UTC 2002

Barry Finkel <b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:
> I am having a problem with BIND 9.2.1 and logging.  I have two Solaris
> 5.6 systems.  One one (a slave server), when I tested BIND 9.2.1 I saw
> these messages in /var/adm/messages (reformatted as to not wrap):

>      Jul  1 12:57:11 titania.ctd.anl.gov named[11253]:
>        starting BIND 9.2.1 -c /export/home/named/named.conf.titania
>      Jul  1 12:58:32 titania.ctd.anl.gov named[11253]: net174.rev:6:
>        no TTL specified; using SOA MINTTL instead
>      Jul  1 13:00:53 titania.ctd.anl.gov named[11253]: running

The "using SOA MINTTL instead" means that teh zonefile lacks "$TTL" at zone
top, but instead of refusing to load as previous bind-9 did, it warns. Strange
however that it says so about a slave zone ... Is there a possibility
of mixup here ?

> On the hidden master, I get these messages:

>      Jul  2 07:15:25 puck.ctd.anl.gov named[21131]:
>      Jul  2 07:15:47 puck.ctd.anl.gov named[21131]:
>        zone tis.anl.gov/IN: loaded serial 2002070102

> On the master, I do not get the "starting" nor "running" messages.

No they are gone with bind-9. There is a class "general" that seems to
occur :
May  8 19:52:39 ns named[9648]: general: running
( not shure of loglevel to get this printed)

In general, the logmessages are quite different from bind-8. Sometimes
it's something lacking, but mostly it's better(imho).

> [...]

> MASTER:
> -----
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none         /dev/console
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon,auth.notice;mail.crit;user.none /var/adm/messages
> user.err        /var/adm/messages
> *.alert;kern.err;daemon.err;user.none           operator
> *.alert;user.none                               root

> *.emerg;user.none                               *

> mail.debug                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)
> mail.debug                      /var/log/syslog

> ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
> user.err                                        /dev/console
> user.err                                        /var/adm/messages
> user.alert                                      `root, operator'
> user.emerg                                      *
> )

> local4.info                                     /var/adm/messages
> local6.debug                                    /var/log/tacacs.log
> *.info                                          @hploghost.ops.anl.gov
> *.info                                          /var/adm/messages
> auth.info                       /var/log/authlog
> -----

> SLAVE:
> -----
> *.err;kern.notice;auth.notice;user.none         /dev/console
> *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none      /var/adm/messages

> *.alert;kern.err;daemon.err;user.none           operator
> *.alert;user.none                               root

> *.emerg;user.none                               *

> mail.debug                      ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)
> mail.debug                      /var/log/syslog

> ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,
> user.err                                        /dev/console
> user.err                                        /var/adm/messages
> user.alert                                      `root, operator'
> user.emerg                                      *
> )

> local4.info                                     /var/adm/messages
> *.info                                          @hploghost.ops.anl.gov
> *.info                                          /var/adm/messages
> auth.info                       /var/log/authlog
> -----

> The only differences are

>     M: user.err        /var/adm/messages
>     S: nothing

>     M: *.err;kern.debug;daemon,auth.notice;mail.crit;user.none /var/adm/messages
>     S: *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.none      /var/adm/messages

> My question is this: what do I need to do on the master to get the
> "starting" and "running" messages?  I have a feeling that the TTL
> messages must be being generated on the master, but I do not see them
> there.  I have no "logging" statements in my named.conf files.
> And the executables were FTPed from the same build directory.

As regards to the $TTL message, you _might_ have an left over file
from a previous nameserver ?

My /etc/syslog.conf has the following set up for 'daemon' :
daemon.debug                                            /var/log/daemon

--
Peter Håkanson