Requirements to register my BIND DNS server with register.com?

dbotham at edeltacom.com dbotham at edeltacom.com
Mon Jul 1 18:17:06 UTC 2002

What troubles are you having (specifically)?

One reason you may not be able to register the name server is because you
are not the admin contact for the parent domain.  In other words, only the
admin contact for uml.edu would be able register your name server...

Dave...

|         |           HYK_TremorZ at hotma|
|         |           il.com (Crazy    |
|         |           Diamond)         |
|         |           bind-users-bounce|
|         |           @isc.org         |
|         |           07/01/2002 12:05 |
  |       To:       comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org                                                                              |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Requirements to register my BIND DNS server with register.com?                                               |

Hi,

  I've been having trouble registering my dns server
(lucky.cs.uml.edu) on register.com's website for my domain name
testing123.net.

  The computer that BIND is hosted on happens to be in a computer lab
here in the University of Massachusetts Lowell.  Are there any
requirements that i should know about when trying to register my DNS
server? Do i have to change the in-addr.arpa PTR records? DO i have to
own them?  I just can't find any conceivable reason why i shouldn't be
allowed to register this server and it's driving me insane :(  Any
help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.