DNS unable to resolve domain, but works when I go directly to the source DNS

David Botham dns at botham.net
Tue Jul 9 18:08:38 UTC 2002

Fails either way for me:
[root at nsca1 root]# dig www.myprofiles.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.myprofiles.com
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.myprofiles.com, type = A, class = IN

;; Total query time: 261 msec
;; FROM: nsca1 to SERVER: default -- 216.154.198.178
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 27 20:14:03 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 36  rcvd: 36

[root at nsca1 root]# dig www.myprofiles.com @ns5.ceiva.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> www.myprofiles.com @ns5.ceiva.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 6
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.myprofiles.com, type = A, class = IN

;; Total query time: 95 msec
;; FROM: nsca1 to SERVER: ns5.ceiva.com  192.216.219.2
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 27 20:14:29 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 36  rcvd: 36