BIND - sorting of reverse domain.

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Jul 8 15:59:13 UTC 2002

At 03:20 AM 7/8/02, D. Stussy wrote:

> >If you had read Mark's reply carefully, you would realise that the whole
> tree
> >is in internal sort order and not just the domain name component. The
> >internal organization is optimized for speedy retrieval of responses and
> >specifically DNSSEC order. Dumping the contents of the tree does not
> >require a sort and it comes out in the order that it retrieves the records.
>
>I am aware of that.  However, ALL entries of the same ZONE NAME will be
>together
>since that is the primary key.  How the RR records are ordered for a zone name
>is of no consequence whatsoever when determining whether or not the name
>EXISTS
>or not.  I couldn't care less about that - it is not relevent to the original
>question.

Have you read the source code to ascertain that your statement is
correct or are you just guessing?

> >>I'm not here to bash anyone.  I expect an INTELLIGENT conversation.  It's
> >>clear
> >>that I'm not getting one.
> >
> >It would help if you had read the code first. Zone files of the slave server
> >can't be modified, so why worry about the order they are put onto disk?
> >On the other hand, this can help in loading since it won't have much work
> >to do in sorting them into the internal order and it will load a large zone
> >faster. If you want intelligent conversation, read the code first and
> then ask
> >questions.
>
>My question was not one of how it IS coded - but one of how it MAY be coded.
>How the current source code is actually written isn't of consequence
>because if
>the preference I asked about were to be accepted, the source program would
>have
>to be changed anyway.
>
>You all are too worried about the actual implementation while I'm talking
>about
>conceptual design - a separate step.

If you want to talk about software engineering, you need to remember that the
conceptual design comes first and then the implementation.  What Mark is
telling you is what has already been designed and implemented. You have
no idea what discussions there were that went into the conceptual design, nor
the design goals, no the requirements which not only included the various
RFC's but also the needs to make the design the most efficient for the
purposes of the server in supplying responses quickly to a high volume of
requests.

You started off this thread by asking about the ordering of the records on the
slave when the server wrote them out. If you dislike the ordering, write a
program
to sort them in a way you do want.  Or take the BIND source code and modify
it to do what you want.

If you don't like the internal tree setup, propose your own and explain why
it's much better than the existing one. Remember to read all of the relevant
RFC's so that it can handle all of the different possible situations.

Danny