Bind related Sendmail problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 2 23:56:23 UTC 2002

Christensen Tom wrote:

> I used to have only 1 machine running apache and sendmail/imap as a web/mail
> server, and I was virtual-hosting multiple domains, everything worked fine.
> Now I have broken 2 domains off of that machine, and put them on their own
> machines, so I have 1 box running bind, apache sendmail and imap that is
> still virtual hosting 4 domains, and everything works.  And 2 other boxen
> running bind sendmail apache and imap each hosting a dedicated domain.  Now,
> everything works on the 2 new machines except for receiving email.  I can
> send email, I can access the web pages from anywhere, but email sent to
> those two domains gets returned.  The reason I am posting on this list is
> because I had the same problem on the single machine when I set it up, about
> 1 year ago, and the problem was my Bind configuration. The domains in
> question are injuryhelpnow.com and christensen4senate.org.  Previously I
> posted on the sendmail boards and someone helped me with the bind
> configuration.  They did something to query my DNS and found a problem... I
> added dots to the end of the NS entries in my zone files, however, that does
> not fix the problem now.

Well, I don't see anything obviously wrong with those domains, although the
"root.localhost" in your SOA records is pretty bogus, and the absence of MX
records is not recommended.

How do you know this is a DNS problem? You say that the email "gets returned".
What's in the bounce messages? Maybe there's something there that points to
some non-DNS-related problem...

- Kevin