datasize, how to use ?

Doug Barton DougB at DougBarton.net
Mon Jul 8 01:24:48 UTC 2002

On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Marc Dubach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "top" shows me that the named daemon is using 25% of the local memeroy
> (this means it uses 128MB). But after reaching this 25% it stopps using
> more memory (and it reaches this 25% in a short time after starting it).
>
> Does it make sense, to set the datasize from "default" to maybe "384MB" ?
>
> At the moment I'm using BIND 8.2.4-REL.

Step one, upgrade to 8.3.3. The code you're running has dangerous parts.
Next, what operating system are you using? It's not going to be possible
to answer your questions otherwise. FreeBSD for example has a default 128M
process size limit, but that's easy to change with a kernel config option.

Doug