using DHCP to allocating IP addresses to subnets based on workgroup name?

hugo hugo at fractaltechnologies.com
Mon Jul 1 02:01:24 UTC 2002

Hi

I would like to be able to use DHCP to assign addresses to computers in
subnet 192.168.1.0/255 where all the machines are in a workgroup called
"fractech". In addition, I would like have the same - or another - DHCP
server assigning addresses in subnet 192.168.2.0/255 where all machines
in that subnet belong to workgroup "ozgeo".

Ideally, I would like to have two DHCP servers running, one for subnet
   192.168.1.0/255, the other for subnet 192.168.2.0/255. However, this
may be problematic as they have overlapping broadcasts since both DHCP
servers also have a presence in a public network (a third network NOT
starting with 192.168).

I have tried various combinations: if I have both DHCP servers running
simultaneously, clients cannot obtain an address at all. If I have one
running, client are automatically assigned to the subnet where the DHCP
server itself has an IP address.

However, I thought that, as some machines have their workgroup set to
"fractech" others to "ozgeo" they could be somehow allocated an IP
address in the subnet that has "fractech" or "ozgeo" set for the NIS
domain, i.e. in the dhcpd.conf file of one server, the subnet
192.168.1.0 has NIS domain "fractech" and on the other DHCP server the
subnet 92.168.1.0 has NIS domain "fractech" listed in its dhcps.conf file.

So in short, my question is: is it possible to:

1. Broadcast with 2 DHCP servers at the same time.
2. Allocate machines to one or the other subnet based on Windows
workgroup name  - which is listed in dhcpd.conf as NIS domain.

Is there any other way to allocate certain machines to one, or the other
subnet?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hugo

--
Dr Hugo Bouckaert
R&D Support Engineer/Systems Administrator

Fractal Technologies
57 Havelock St
West Perth, WA 6005
PO Box 1675, West Perth 6872

Ph:       61 08 9211 6000
Fax:      61 08 9226 1299

www.fractaltechnologies.com

This email and any attachments may be confidential or legally
privileged. If you received this message in error or are not the
intended recipient, you should destroy the e-mail message and any
attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining,
distributing, disclosing or using any information contained herein.
Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail. Thank you
for your cooperation.