Bind 9.2 installation

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 11:51:03 UTC 2002

Joaquín Arza Laurenz wrote:

> Is this the best way to install BIND 9.2 ?
> Do i need to uninstall BIND 9.1.3 with rpm ?
> If i want to preserve the previous version, how can i configure my
> system to start with the version i want.

I'd look at removing the old RPM.

Make sure you get all the old manual pages.

I'd keep BIND 9.2 in /usr/local as that seems to be the new
default location if you have to build from source.

You can always ensure the right versions by setting PATH and
MANPATH to search /usr/local first, but I'd go for removing the
old stuff if possible. The only problem is RPM packages that
depend on BIND being installed, but there aren't many of these,
and you probably need to build newer versions of most of them
anyway.