Question about Window 2000 and Unix DNS

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jan 30 18:55:47 UTC 2002

"Smith, Randy (DISOC)" <rsmith at dsdc.dla.mil> wrote:
> We are a third tier level domain

And this list discusses bind, a standards conformant implementation of DNS.

> 				XX.ZZ.COM
> 	We are authorative for our domain.
> 	We are using Windows 2000 Dynamic DNS
> 	We are using Windows 2000 DHCP with Dynamic Updates
> 	We want to be "delegated" to because the second tier DNS does not
> permit DDNS updates
> 	We are migrating to AD integrated DNS within a month

> Our problems:

> 	The Second level DNS is UNIX based
> 	Second level does not permit DDNS updates
> 	Second level DNS is not going to Windows 2000 DNS
> 	Second level DNS does not know about Windows 2000 DNS "Burst mode"

Sounds to me the "The Second level" knows what they are doing.

> Our goals.

> 	Third tier DNS will be "hidden"

It's ok as long as you don't want to be seen from any other place.

> 	Multiple subnets within third level DNS
> 	Be "Delegated" by second level DNS
> 	We currently use Windows 2000 Dynamic DNS, how does second tier take
> advantage
> 	DHCP dynamically updates DNS on our network, how does second level
> handle it?

They don't, since they have delegated to you. Thats the meaning of delegation.
Whatever you have in your dns will be visible at other places, provided
it's not "hidden" as you suggest.

> 	We will go to AD integrated zones and force replications on updates.
> 	All Domain controllers within the AD 2000 Domain be masters using AD
> Integrated Zones
> 	Our second teir does not understand Windows 2000 DNS/DDNS/DHCP and
> wants to continue
> 	using UNIX.

Well, bind will understand DDNS, as specified in standards. If it does
not play well with non-standards conformant products - thats not a bind issue.

DHCP is something completley different.

> Any help would be useful.

You better ask microsoft, they are the ones that sold the product to you.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)