'Err/TO' message

graham.lake at trelleborg.com graham.lake at trelleborg.com
Tue Jan 29 12:44:07 UTC 2002

Kevin,

Sorry, I didn't realise that the attachment would get stripped! Plus, I've
never really used DOS at the command line so I didn't know how to send the
o/p to a file... yes, I know it's simple... I found out this morning!!

The o/p was from using nslookup on an NT box, hence the information wasn't
clear if it was authoritative. Thanks for hinting about dig - I've jumped
in at the deep end with that over the last 18 hours, learning how to use it
on the Linux box.

Anyway, the upshot of that is that I have been able to identify where the
problem was - because of the funny messages that dig returned! - & I've
resolved the problems... they were mainly syntax errors between stating the
master server in the SOA line & leaving dots off the ends of the NS FQH
names! I don't think that 'it' could reconcile the connected records!

Do you know of any version of DIG that runs on NT? I've searched the
internet through Google (...of the 'is our friend' type!) but I could only
find Unix/Linux versions that go with BIND.

Thanks,
Graham

                      Kevin Darcy
                      <kcd at daimlerchry         To:      bind-users at isc.org
                      sler.com>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: 'Err/TO' message
                      bind-users-bounc
                      e at isc.org

                      29-01-02 02:41

The .bmp attachment was stripped.

The "dig" output should be plain text; why don't you post it as is?

- Kevin

graham.lake at trelleborg.com wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin: I tried it (eventually!!) & attached is
> the result...
> (See attached file: dns1scr1.bmp)
> I can't tell from this if it is authoritative or not: is it?
>
> I have made some changes to the zone file, but the same error occurs:
>
> >> Revised zone file:
> "; Filename db.10.57.159
> $TTL  3h
>
> @    IN  SOA  li-uk-tau-dns1.tau.trelleborg.com. grl.trelleborg.com. (
>                           2002012801
>                           3h
>                           1h
>                           1w
>                           1h )
>
> ; Name servers
>                           IN  NS  li-uk-tau-dns1.tau.trelleborg.com.
>                           IN  NS  mailserveur.tau.trelleborg.com.
>
> ; Addresses point to canonical names
> 20                        IN  PTR mailserveur.tau.trelleborg.com."
>
> List:     bind-users
> Subject:  Re: 'Err/TO' message
> From:     Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
> Date:     2002-01-11 23:53:09
> [Download message RAW]
>
> Try doing an SOA query for 159.57.10.in-addr.arpa from the slave to the
> master. Is the query successful? Is the answer authoritative?
>
> - Kevin
>
> graham.lake at trelleborg.com wrote:
>
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I am running an intranet BIND 8.2.3 master server on Linux for domain
> > 'tau.trelleborg.com' at 10.57.126.102; a slave server is running
BINDctrl
> > 8.2.5 on NT4 at 10.57.159.20 (but is also on the 192.6.1.x IP domain).
> >
> > The slave works for resolving queries, but I get the following entries
in
> > the log & the 'bak.10.57.159' file is not generated. The other 3
> > 'bak.x.y.z' files are generated.
> >
> > As far as I can see the access settings are the same for each file on
the
> > Linux box, so I am puzzled.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thx,
> > Graham Lake
> >
> > LOG MESSAGES
> > 11-Jan-2002 11:41:29.000 Err/TO getting serial# for
> > "159.57.10.in-addr.arpa"
> > 11-Jan-2002 11:41:58.000 slave zone "tau.trelleborg.com" (IN) loaded
> > (serial 2002011101)
> > 11-Jan-2002 11:41:58.000 slave zone "126.57.10.in-addr.arpa" (IN)
loaded
> > (serial 2002010403)
> > 11-Jan-2002 11:41:58.000 slave zone "1.6.192.in-addr.arpa" (IN) loaded
> > (serial 2002010402)
> >
> > RELEVANT PORTION OF NAMED.CONF
> > zone "tau.trelleborg.com" IN { type slave; file
"bak.tau.trelleborg.com";