Should I upgrade to 9.2?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 23:01:35 UTC 2002

Hannu wrote:

> I am planning to upgrade my sendmail/DNS server OS. I am currently
> running Bind 8.2, and it works fine with my RH7.1 system.
> The OS I am planning to install (Mandrake 8.1) comes with Bind 9.2. Is
> there any reason why not to run Bind 9,2?

Offtopic but Mandrake also comes with Postfix as the default
MTA, which has a lot to recommend it.

The only reason I know of not to run BIND 9.2 is that it has
slightly lower performance than the BIND 8 code base on single
CPU machines. But few people are pushing BIND so hard that it
becomes a performance bottleneck. BIND 9.2 is easier to chroot,
and probably more secure, it also comes with better tools and
documentation.