How can I specify the same mail server with 2 IPs

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 24 15:50:05 UTC 2002

In article <a2p742$9jm at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <kathybui at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a mail server serving a domain. It has 2 NICs, one to the
>outside and one to the inside, the external IP is 66..x.x.x and the
>internal is 192.168.x.x. I already set up BIND so that the world
>resolves the mail-server as 66.x.x.x.
>
>How could I set it up so that the internal machines resolve  the
>mail-server as 192.168.x.x.

A simple way is to just use different names, e.g. mail.yourdomain.com and
mail-internal.yourdomain.com.  Tell the internal users to connect to
mail-internal.yourdomain.com to read their mail.

If you don't want to do that, you can use BIND 9's "views" mechanism.
Create two zone files, one containing the internal version of your domain
and the other containing the external version, and use them each in their
appropriate views.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA