international domain registration issues/dns related

@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc. shore at quasar.net
Thu Jan 24 01:41:06 UTC 2002

In the case that the specified nameservers are on the domain being
registered it's actually two separate processes but the procdedure is
pretty much the same:  You first make the nameservers live and answering
on your server, and again they check to make sure of this before they
create them in their records as nameservers.

Interestingly, it *is* possible to have a working nameserver on a domain
which does not yet exist on a TLD, but it's delegated differently than
you'd expect in the normal realm of things.  (But normally the domain and
the nameserver would be both be created pretty much simultaneously before
the next root update.  But a query directly to the server it's
authoritative on would show it answering on that nameserver even before
either is live.)

Anyone who wants to see an example of this can email me ;)  (No, it isn't
mine.)

-Dena
     -=Dena Whitebirch=-          ***         http://quasar.net/
@quasar Internet Solutions, Inc.  *** "Internet Powered by Experience"