editing a dynamically updated file

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 18:06:10 UTC 2002

Mark Damrose wrote:

> I just tried this, and it looks like BIND won't allow you to delete *all* NS
> records - which is what the listed command will do.

RFC 2136

3.4.2.4. For any Update RR whose class is NONE, any Zone RR
whose
   NAME, TYPE, RDATA and RDLENGTH are equal to the Update RR is
deleted,
   unless the NAME is the same as ZNAME and either the TYPE is
SOA or
   the TYPE is NS and the matching Zone RR is the only NS
remaining in
   the RRset, in which case this Update RR is ignored.

Or put another way.

You can't delete the SOA, you can't delete the last NS record.

All conforming nameservers should behave this way.

You CAN delete the A record for your primary DNS if it is within
the zone - this isn't a good move as you have to stop the
nameserver to edit it back in again, as without it nsupdate
doesn't work.

You can always edit dynamic zones for as long as your are happy
to stop the server, this means you may lose dynamic updates.

As for Ted's

#nsupdate
>update delete noc.missouri.edu IN NS
>send