Can you delete NS records with nsupdate?

Lists User lists at mail.tiggee.com
Tue Jan 22 17:38:10 UTC 2002

The problem I am having was that the NS record was a lame record.

In the domain tester.com. I had a ns record for sub1.
example:
update add sub1.tester.com. 10800 NS ns1.anotherdomain.com.

This added no problem.

then when I tried:
update delete sub1.tester.com. NS ns1.anotherdomain.com.
or
update delete sub1.tester.com. IN NS ns1.anotherdomain.com.

It bombed and said:

Reply from SOA query:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id:  33475
;; flags: qr rd ra ; QUESTION: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;sub1.tester.com.       IN      SOA

response to SOA query was unsuccessful

I guess this is because it was a lame nameserver correct?

Thanks for any help,
-Dave