CLOSE_WAIT not closing in Bind 9.2.0

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Tue Jan 22 16:38:19 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 03:13:50PM +0000, the person claiming to be Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <a2iub6$svj at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Pete Ehlke  <pde at ehlke.net> wrote:
> >At any rate, I don't recall you telling us what OS you run, but
> >http://www.sean.de/Solaris/tune.html used to be of some use on Solaris
> >web servers, but tuning a web server and tuning a name server are *vastly*
> >different enterprises, and even at that, really affecting CLOSE_WAIT (as
> >opposed to TIME_WAIT) is *hard*.
>
> CLOSE_WAIT isn't something you can tune away.  In this case, it suggests a
> bug in the server -- it isn't closing the connection after it's done
> sending the response.

W. Richard Stevens backs up Barry:

 FIN WAIT 2 State
 In the FIN_WAIT_2 state we have sent our FIN and the other end has
 acknowledged it. Unless we have done a half-close, we are waiting for
 the application on the other end to recognize that it has received an
 end-of-file notification and close its end of the connection, which
 sends us a FIN. Only when the process at the other end does this close
 will our end move from the FIN_WAIT_2 to the TIME_WAIT state.

 This means our end of the connection can remain in this state forever.
 The other end is still in the CLOSE_WAIT state, and can remain there
 forever, until the application decides to issue its close.

 Many Berkeley-derived implementations prevent this infinite wait in the
 FIN_WAIT_2 state as follows. If the application that does the active
 close does a complete close, not a half-close indicating that it expects
 to receive data, then a timer is set. If the connection is idle for 10
 minutes plus 75 seconds, TCP moves the connection into the CLOSED state.
 A comment in the code acknowledges that this implementation feature
 violates the protocol specification.

...this is from TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool
you. He really is an idiot. - Groucho Marx