NS RRs in a different circular order

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 21 19:05:24 UTC 2002

In article <a2hdv8$m9j at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <Yassine.Sissi at cec.eu.int> wrote:
>I would like to know how the NS query works exactly. If i configure a number
>of NS records for a zone, in which order those records will be used by
>resolvers.
>
>For the test, I configured my DNS server to not do recursion. If i try to
>resolve a couple of times entries in the domain test.admin.net, I see the
>result of served NS is always in a different circular order.
>
>So my question(maybe very obvious) is: What mecanism is used to display the
>list ?

I thought your question was the order that they'll be used, not the order
that they're displayed.  These aren't the same.

Recursive servers keep track of server response times, and use the ones
with the best response time.  They use fuzzy comparisons, so if multiple
servers both have close response times they'll all be used (I'm not sure if
it's round-robin or random selection).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA