NT 4.0 DNS problems

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jan 16 05:07:42 UTC 2002

At 07:28 PM 1/15/02, Anthony Maw wrote:
>Gentlemen:
>
>I have an ongoing problem with Microsoft DNS running on NT 4.0 Server,
>SP-6a:
>
> From time to time, it will fail to resolve several web sites.  So far I have
>found that it has stopped resolving www.intel.com, www.msnbc.com,
>www.ameritrade.com and probably a lot more others.
>
>Does anybody have any ideas or solutions?

Yes.  Ask Microsoft for a solution, it's their software.  This is the
BIND mailing list/newsgroup.

>When I do an nslookup on my ISP's DNS server, it resolves correctly.
>
>Also I found that BIND 4.9.7 for Windows seems to exhibit the same problem.
Probably.  That version is so old it can't handle many of the newer features
of DNS.
Did you try BIND 8.3.0 on Win32?  See the ISC Web site for a binary kit.

>It almost seems like the affected domains have non-standard DNS records.

Both intel.com and msnbc.com have a large number of nameservers listed
causing UDP truncation and requires that the client retry in TCP mode if
it wants more information.  I don't see anything obviously unusual about
ameritrade.com.  This almost certainly cause problems for a BIND 4 DNS.

         Danny