BIND 8.3.0 is now available

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Fri Jan 11 20:47:11 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 12:00:28AM +1100, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> 			BIND 8.3.0 Release
>
> BIND 8.3.0 is the first release of 8.3 and contains new features not found
> in 8.2.5.
>
> The recommended version to use is BIND 9.2.0.  If for whatever reason you
> must run BIND 8, use nothing earlier than 8.2.5-REL.  Do not under any
> circumstances run BIND 4.
>
> Highlights vs. BIND 8.2.5:
>
> 	Minor bug fixes and portability changes.
> 	Some new resolver API elements.
> 	Improved operational reporting.
> 	Can now AXFR unknown RR types (in, out, or both).
> 	IPv6 transport support in the resolver (from KAME).
> 	EDNS0 support.

So has anyone done any load testing to see if the EDNS0 checks make
8.3.0 as slow as BIND 9 for recursive queries outside it's authority
(outside records)?

If not, I'll be doing this later today. I have production resolvers that
*cannot* perform as poorly as BIND 9 does. I really hope 8.3.0 isn't as
bad.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

It's not that I'm so smart , it's just that I stay with problems longer.
  - Albert Einstein