View cause NXDOMAIN ERROR (bind 9.x)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 11 19:45:29 UTC 2002

In article <a1n2r8$4sr at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jason Bowsher <jason.bowsher at mail.com> wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am trying to setup Bind 9.2.0 on Redhat 7.1 to use views for split DNS.  I
>am able to get authorative answers for dig lookups on reverse 127.0.0.0/24
>addresses but not on 10.10.1.0/24 when I create bind 9 views.  Authorative
>answers are obtained for all zone when not created as views.
>
>Can anyone please suggest what is wrong with my configuration.
>below is my named.conf for these reverse zones
>
>view "external-127" {
>match-clients { any; };
>zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>type master;
>file "pz/0.0.127.in-addr.arpa";
>file://allow-update { none; };
>};
>};
>

>view "internal-10.10.1" {
>match-clients { any; };
>zone "1.10.10.in-addr.arpa" {
>type master;
>file "pz/1.10.10.in-addr.arpa";
>file://allow-update { none; };
>};
>};

You have two views that match the same set of clients.  BIND will use the
first view that matches the client address, which is external-127.  That
view doesn't contain the 1.10.10.in-addr.arpa zone, so the server won't
answer authoritatively for that zone.

In other words, you should organize your views based on the clients, not
the zones.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA