Deny certain DNS Lookups???

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Thu Jan 10 23:56:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 05:09:14PM -0600, K Widner wrote:
> If I want to block that pesky AOL Instant Messenger, the easiest way I can
> figure to do it is simply not answer the dns query when it is looking for
> its logon server. Can anyone tell me how to simply deny certain queries?

Do what some people do to block doubleclick - make your server
authoritative for the doubleclick.com/net zones, and don't enter any A
records. All the lookups in those domains will return NXDOMAIN against
your server(s).

There's other ways, but this is the easiest to explain (and implement)
that I can think of offhand.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.