How many zones running BIND ??

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 10 23:19:54 UTC 2002

Jim Reid wrote:

>     >> Nate Campi wrote:
>
>     >> I often wonder why BIND 9 doesn't allow a compiled binary db to
>     >> be loaded from disk, instead of being compiled and loaded
>     >> (only) into memory at each startup.
>
> If you feel this is a worthwhile feature, feel free to implement it or
> throw enough money at ISC to persuade them to implement it for you.
>
>     >> Seems like a rewrite would be the time to get this right.
>
> No. BIND9 has a clean separation between the protocol engine (the
> thing that makes and answers queries) from the back-end data store.
> It shouldn't be too hard for a clueful programmer to use the BIND9
> library to "compile" a conventional zone file into a red-black tree
> (or some other data structure) for reading directly into memory. Or
> mmap()'ing the file, etc, etc.
>
>     Kevin> I doubt that this "feature" would be worth the
>     Kevin> effort. Frozen config files in sendmail sucked.
>
> BIND is not sendmail.

Agreed (although there was a lot of cross-pollination between the BIND
and sendmail projects in BSD's heyday). I was just giving an example of
how something similar was attempted and failed.

Are there any success stories for this kind of thing? (Nate's example of
alias databases is, I think, inappropriate since that's not a situation
where the database is loaded entirely from disk into core; rather it's
just a more optimized form of disk-based database access, an animal of
quite a different stripe).

- Kevin