DNS Lookup Failed

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 10 20:42:38 UTC 2002

In article <a1kppe$laf at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Allie Syadiqin <allie at time.net.my> wrote:

>FYI, I am running 2 nameservers on a single machine. I know that its
>not wise, but its only on a temporary basis until I can get another
>machine up. Anyway, here's the info on the nameservers :-
>
>ns1.vserver.com.my : 202.56.152.174
>ns2.vserver.com.my : 202.56.152.175
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

It looks like it's having trouble loading the root hints file, or maybe the
entry for the root hints is missing from named.conf.  I get this when I try
to ask it for the root servers:

% dig . ns @ns1.vserver.com.my +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> . ns @ns1.vserver.com.my +norec
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 14292
;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	., type = NS, class = IN

;; Total query time: 277 msec
;; FROM: tools.genuity.com to SERVER: ns1.vserver.com.my  202.56.152.174
;; WHEN: Thu Jan 10 15:41:03 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 17  rcvd: 17

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA