How do people do their own RDNS without a full class C ?

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Jan 9 23:21:45 UTC 2002

> The CNAME method that has been described seems to work but suffers from
> timeout problems as it's got to do 2 lookups but doesn't seem to increase
> the time.

In RFC2317, it is recommended that "the authoritative name servers for
the delegating zone (the zone containing all the CNAME records) all run
as slave (secondary) name servers for the "child" zones delegated and
pointed into via the CNAME records."

Having the parent server be a slave for the child zones allows the
parent server to return all of the DNS information without requiring
recursion.  I believe that the recursion needed, if the parent server
isn't a slave to the child (as a parent with a ten year old son, these
words sound horrible!), is what is causing the timeouts.  Once the
child zone information is cached after querying both the parent and
child, then there aren't any timeouts.

Bill Larson (wllarso at swcp.com)