How do people do their own RDNS without a full class C ?

Kyle R. Green kyle at kgreen.org
Wed Jan 9 04:02:07 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, January 8, 2002, at 10:53 PM, Patrick Thomas wrote:

> So you are saying that:
>
> if my nameserver is    www.example.com
>
> and   192.168.0.5 == www.someotherexample.com
>
> then my ISP can do this:
>
> 5	IN	CNAME	192-168-0-5.example.com.
>
> and meanwhile, back on _my own_ nameserver, I have the real entry:
>
> 192-168-0-5	IN	PTR	www.someotherexample.com

Yes--provided you remember the final . in your PTR record:

192-168-0-5  IN  PTR  www.someotherexample.com.

> thanks for this trick - it may be just what we need.

My pleasure.  Can't take the credit for it, though.  I've seen a friend
of mine uses this setup on a few different colo setups.

--
Kyle R. Green
kyle at kgreen.org

Delores breezed along the surface of her life like a flat stone forever
skipping along smooth water, rippling reality sporadically but oblivious
to it consistently, until she finally lost momentum, sank, and due to an
overdose of flouride as a child which caused her to suffer from chronic
apathy, doomed herself to lie forever on the floor of her life as
useless as an appendix and as lonely as a five-hundred pound barbell in
a steroid-free fitness center.
         -- Winning sentence, 1990 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest.