How do people do their own RDNS without a full class C ?

Kyle R. Green kyle at kgreen.org
Wed Jan 9 03:33:26 UTC 2002

Let's say you have some addresses in 192.168.0.0/24.  In their
0.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone, have them put the following:

5     IN     CNAME     192-168-0-5.yourdomain.com
6     IN     CNAME     192-168-0-6.yourdomain.com
7     IN     CNAME     192-168-0-7.yourdomain.com

And in your yourdomain.com zone:

192-168-0-5     IN     PTR     www.yourdomain.com
192-168-0-6     IN     PTR     ftp.yourdomain.com
192-168-0-7     IN     PTR     mail.yourdomain.com

I've seen this in use in a few colo situations, and it generally works
very well, but they might not want to put CNAMEs in their reverse zones.

Additionally, I'm not 100% sure that this is "proper" DNS.

--
Kyle R. Green
kyle at kgreen.org

Delores breezed along the surface of her life like a flat stone forever
skipping along smooth water, rippling reality sporadically but oblivious
to it consistently, until she finally lost momentum, sank, and due to an
overdose of flouride as a child which caused her to suffer from chronic
apathy, doomed herself to lie forever on the floor of her life as
useless as an appendix and as lonely as a five-hundred pound barbell in
a steroid-free fitness center.
         -- Winning sentence, 1990 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest.