Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 8 01:41:22 UTC 2002

>      When I use the character "_" in my Host records, I don't have th=
> domain working properly.
> For example, when I type the record
>
> server_test    A    10.74.2.4
>
> in one of my domains I can not query any record in the domain. When I=
 place
  the comment character in front of this record
> I mean when I type
>
> ;server_test   A    10.74.2.4
>
> I have the domain working properly. How can I include the character "=
_" or
> other ASCII characters in my hostnames.

	Firstly legal hostnames are restricted to 'A'-'Z', 'a'-'z', '0'-'9',
	'-' and '.'.  If you choose "hostnames" outside of this nothing is
	guaranteed to work.  Applications (libraries) do check that where
	a hostname is expected the answer is a legal hostname.

	check-names can be used to disable the checks.

	Mark.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org