BIND 8.3.0 RC2 is now available for public testing

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Jan 7 16:24:05 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 11:19:14PM +0000, Fred Viles wrote:
> From: Fred Viles <fv4 at do.whois.fv4.at.internic>

This is mildly amusing.  But that's all.  When I do 'whois fv4', the
InterNic tells me about fv4.com registered through dotster.com, whose
contact person is R V Moses.  Knowing a little more than the average
bear, I can eventually find fv at episupport.com.  But why should I have
to?

> Are you saying that the regular posters receive almost no spam at
> all?  My experience with posting my real email address to NGs was
> very different.

I agree, my experience with the average newsgroup is also different
from my experience with this mailing list / newsgroup.

> My email client defaults to the Reply-To: address, which is the list
> address for all the lists I subscribe to.  I thought that was
> standard behavior...

Although there is a recommended standard somewhere, (a) actual
performance varies widely, largely because (b) well-informed, wise, and
knowledgeable authorities still differ as to what the "correct"
behaviour should be.

> I would have thought you'd usually delete the private address
> regardless of whether it's valid or not.  Especially with mailing
> lists, private "courtesy copies" of replies are generally avoided
> because it's annoying for the recipient to get two copies.

I have a standard behaviour, being an older bear with fewer brain cells
to devote to varying behaviour.  There are enough folks who either need
the information NOW or are posting although not on the list that I send
a courtesy "early edition" copy, unless I happen to remember that the
specific person (one or two of which I know) has specifically asked for
this behaviour to not happen.  Such people must either trust the list
server a lot more than I do or not care as much.  ;-)

> So it is routine on this list to reply by private email rather than
> posting back to the list?  In that case I can understand why the
> regulars get annoyed by obfuscated addresses.

It  i s  a mailing list.  Responding via e-mail is standard behaviour
for such an object.  ;-)

> Sorry, for me it's like the wine/sewage analogy.  You know:
>
> If you put a spoonfull of wine in a barrel of sewage, you get sewage.
> And if you put a spoonfull of sewage in a barrel of sewage, you get
> sewage.

Interesting analogy.  ;-)  A newsgroup is sewage???????

What do you get when you put a spoonful of yeast in a barrel of grape
juice?  [wine]

What do you get when you put one rooster in a coopful of hens?
[chicks]

> If you gateway a mailing list to a newsgroup, you get a newsgroup...

Ah, I see.  And I guess if you gateway a newsgroup to a mailing list,
you get a mailing list...

Hey, it's two, two, two mints in one!

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao