Entry in a Zone File

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 16:20:37 UTC 2002

"Scott O." wrote:

> I have A records to point www.sample.com to the appropriate ip address.
> What I also want to be able to do is point just sample.com to the same ip
> address.  What does this entry look like and where in the file do I enter
> it?

It is just like any other A record in the sample.com zone file.

sample.com. 86400 IN A 123.123.123.123

It is best to put it after the SOA, and NS records for the
domain, then you can leave off the name, as it is one of a set.

This is adequately explained many times in the archives of this
group, a quick search at www.deja.com would have revealed the
answer to your question.

The webserver must also be told it must serve the new name in
most cases.