Non-internet Master Server

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Sun Jan 6 03:34:35 UTC 2002

* Mark Damrose <mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us> said, on [020105 19:11]:
> That error message sounds to me like nslookup gets no response from the DNS
> server.  Have you verified that the server is actually running?  Listening
> on localhost?  Not blocked by a firewall?  Are there any error messages in
> the logs?

No, that message sounds like *the* *single* *most* FAQ on this list.

As thirty seconds with your favorite search engine will show you,
nslookup attempts to perform a reverse lookup on the address of the
server it's been told to talk to, and abends with that message if there
is no PTR record present for the name server's address.

-Pete