Confirm Idea; transfer all zones not possible

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 5 04:13:12 UTC 2002

Jail Worm wrote:

> Greetings group,
>
> I am using ICS Bind "Window NT/2000 implementation of BIND8.2.x" as a
> primary, and a RH Linux secondary off site in an agreement with a local ISP.
> I would like to run secondary for all of their zones, and vice versa for
> them.  We would both gain the benefit of an off-site DNS server operating as
> secondary.
>
> To do this I need to create a zone entry for each domain, or use a "grab all
> zones from server" type transfer.
>
> Through review of other posts, it seems to be implied that the "grab all
> zones" (without knowing what all of them might be) function does not exist.
> If it does exist, where can I get information about how to do it?
>
> Can someone confirm that fact for me?

There is no such query defined in the DNS standards that asks "what are all the
zones you host?".

But, there's nothing to stop you and your ISP from coming up with some sort of
convention for this. E.g. you could define a zone called "_zones" that only
your box and the master would know about and which would just contain a list of
domains (PTR records, for space efficiency, or TXT records). The master would
update that list every time a zone was added or deleted. Query or zone-transfer
that list periodically, and your box could figure out what zones it should
start slaving or stop slaving.

- Kevin