Dynamic updates in bind 8.2

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 5 03:13:01 UTC 2002

Tony wrote:

> Can someone please help on how to setup dynamic updates on bind 8.2.5 REL?

On the server side, this is fairly trivial: just add an "allow-update" clause
to the zone definition.

> I would like to bring up new servers and automatically have their hostname
> (machine name) registered as an A and PTR record on my master server.

Then you're going to need some software on the servers to do this registration.
You might have to write that software yourself. Also, if you care about
security, you should probably arrange to sign your Dynamic Updates with TSIG.

> Also I
> read that inorder to do IXFR, Its better not to edit the zone files manually
> and goe strictly with dynamic updates.

If you use Dynamic Update for a zone, you shouldn't manually edit the zone
files, regardless of whether you're doing IXFR or not. Dynamic Update is
basically an all-or-nothing proposition in BIND; you can't safely mix Dynamic
Updates and manual edits.

- Kevin