BIND 8.3.0 RC2 is now available for public testing

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Jan 4 17:49:23 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 10:27:13AM -0500, William Stacey wrote:
> > I know this must sound dumb, but with a demonstrable low [I no longer
> > say non-existent] incidence of SPAM from this mailing list, why do
> > people still use non-working e-mail addresses like

> Sorry Joe, I guess I did not realize this was primarily a mail list with a
> ng gateway (I use it from just the ng side.)  I have never really had a
> problem with spam until recently and thought that may cut it down.  I don't
> think I can change that for just this ng using Outlook Express.  However,
> wouldn't this only be an issue anyway if your replying directly to me via
> email?  Obviously, I'm not trying to hide my identity as some do.

You're right, the latter gets really annoying ... especially when one
had been ready to help someone and finds that mail to nobody at nowhere.man
just bounced.

This is an issue for those of us [including many of the most helpful
ones, I think] who are on the mailing list and do respond via e-mail.
The default for most e-mail programs is to throw up the e-mail address
that you had inserted in your "From: " line.

Obviously, some of us are trying to modify our behaviour to look at
e-mail addresses for possible fakes.  But a habit of over a quarter of
a century of trusting the mail program's automatic addressing is hard
to break.

And this is a mailing list, with a newsgroup gateway.  I think, anyway.
;-)

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B