Restart

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 1 00:01:45 UTC 2002

In article <a0qrf4$8qo at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
atif munir  <atifch_sendmail at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>      What is  the standard way to restart DNS
>1-KILL -HUP ID

That doesn't restart it, it just tells it to reread its configuration
file.  It's the obsolete version of "rndc reload".

>2-pkill named & ./named

That will only work if your current directory is the one where the named
executable is installed.

"rndc exec" is probably the best way.  It sends a message to the current
named process telling it to re-start itself from scratch.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA