DNS alternate resolution techniques

Dan Amthor groups at lonx.net
Thu Feb 28 08:40:52 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 23:22, Dale Bryan wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to locally do DNS when a group of
> computers/routers are isolated from the remote DNS server for periods
> of time  (e.g., over satellite link that goes down).
You could rig up an NS with a copy of "local zone". That NS will not forward
any queries for that zone since it is authoritative for "local zone". All
local clients query that NS. It will forward queries for any other zone, when
you guys are online. The only issue is to keep your "official" outside
zonefile in sync with your internal file. HTH.

Regards
Dan