bind9 question.

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 23:07:37 UTC 2002

"C. Maki" wrote:

> differences. The Red Hat bind uses named.conf and the process when launched
> spawns some children and runs with a total of 5 processes.The OpenBSD box
> uses the older named.boot, and exists as only one process.

Linux shows "tasks" in the output of "ps". A task may be a
thread or a process. In OpenBSD I believe only processes are
shown as is usual in Unix.

> named.boot.

Most recent named will answer to "named --version", I vaguely
recall a note that BSD users had audited a version of BIND 4,
and so prefered it to more recent versions. That could explain
the named.boot.