converting to a dynamic zone

Mike Shannon mikesha at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 25 23:06:59 UTC 2002

Thanks, Simon.

I think I left out some details, but this is very useful and informative, thanks for your quick response.

I've done some testing with this and it appears if there is an already existing zone and you change it to allow updates, then you can't easily change entries that *existed before* you allowed updates.  For instance, if I had 10.10.1.10 associated with www.somefakehost.com and wanted to change its IP address or maybe switch it to a CNAME or whatever, this proves difficult.  I've had to stop named, edit the zone file by hand, delete the .jnl file and restart named.  In bind 8, the zone files were updated hourly and the log files were deleted, making it fairly safe on a slow name server to stop named, make manual changes and then restart named without loosing your dynamic updates (this was a feature as far as I'm concerned).  I'm sure this would never make it to a best practices book, but it works.

The network I'm using DDNS on is a private network with no access to the real world and has very little as far as 'real production' goes, i.e. if the name server gets hacked or goes down, we wont loose any money.

Mike