Authoritative for what domains?

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Sun Feb 24 05:02:16 UTC 2002

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> wrote in message
news:a59dtg$414 at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> At 12:23 PM 2/23/02, Cricket Liu wrote:
>
> > > Is there anyway to query a remote name server to find out what domains
> > > it is authoritative for?
> > >
> > > For example, there is name server called ns1.someserver.com. It is
> > > authoritative for abc.com, def.com and ghi.com. How can I find out
that
> > > those 3 domains have records on  ns1.someserver.com without knowing if
> > > those domains exist?
> > >
> > > Any ideas or confirmation that it cannot be done would be most
> > > appreciated.
> >
> >No, you can't do that with a query.
>
> Not true.  Try:
> dig +norecursive abc.com @ns1.someserver.com soa
>
> If it thinks it's authorative for the domain it will set the aa bit.

That requires knowledge of the server that OP says he doesen't have.
> > > find out what domains it is authoritative for?
> > > without knowing if those domains exist?

To do it this way, you would have to query the server for every possible
legal domain name.

Mr Gigabyte, why do you need to know?  If you are the admin for
ns1.someserver.com, you should know from named.conf which domains it is
supposed to be authoritive for, and can use Danny's method to test if they
are actually working.  If you are not the admin, then why do you care?