Disable TCP/53

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Feb 23 08:50:32 UTC 2002

dave.goldsmith at intelsat.com wrote:

> There have been a number of responses in the line of "your firewall is
> broken -- fix it".  This is not necessarily the case. DNS uses TCP for two
> reasons.  The first is zone transfers, the second is to return responses to
> queries that are too large to fit in a UDP packet.

The third is to answer queries that has beeen done using TCP.

Remember that one of the big irons once had a version of their un*x that
actually defaulted to TCP. Blocking TCP would prevent all of these
from ever asking such a nameserver.

And it's no option either, it's specifially required
( rfc1123 6.1.3.2  Transport Protocols)

> Regarding zone transfers, you should only allow authorized external
> secondary DNS servers to do a zone transfer from your server.  Two security
> settings can be applied here.  On the DNS server, you can specify a list of
> servers authorized to pull zone files.  If you have a firewall of some sort,
> you can also restrict access to TCP/53 to your DNS server to the same list
> of authorized secondaries.  Restricting access to TCP/53 on the firewall
> will interfere with the ability to use TCP for large query response but most
> people don't have DNS records so complex or numerous that the responses
> don't fit in UDP response packets.

Unless one uses some broken implementations of dynamic update that
causes multiple records of the same "key" , this may easily create
lots of records too big for an UDP answer.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)