my name is xxx.xxx.ro it should be xxx.ro....cjk

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Feb 22 13:27:44 UTC 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 02:56:28PM +0200, Constantine J. Koulis wrote:
> Hello all.
> My dns name of my server is xxx.xxx.ro and i think it should be xxx.ro
> How do i correct this ?if i need to correct it and why?
> Sincerely

Names are names.  You've given no reason why it should be one rather
than the other.  Worse, you haven't even given the names you were
talking about.

For what it's worth, it's more rare to see a name server have the
domain name [e.g. redcross.us] than to see them have names somewhat
deeper in the namespace [e.g. hss.west.chapter.columbus.oh.redcross.us
or just smallfry.redcross.us].

[Not that these exist - I just made them up for an example.]

Or you may be talking about some other kind of server.  Even so,
there's no reason it "should" have one name over another.  Names are
whatever you want them to be.  Within your domain, of course.

Now, if you WANT the domain name to be another name by which your
server is recognized, well, that's easy enough.  Just have an A record
for that name.  Here are several ways to do that:

; zone file for xxx.ro
$TTL		1d ; or whatever
@		SOA	xxx.xxx.ro. kouliscon.hotmail.com. (
			... )
		NS	xxx.xxx.ro
		NS	xxx2.xxx.ro
		MX	xxxmail.xxx.ro
		A	300.300.300.300
; zone file for xxx.ro
$TTL		1d ; or whatever
@		SOA	xxx.xxx.ro. kouliscon.hotmail.com. (
			... )
		NS	xxx.xxx.ro
		NS	xxx2.xxx.ro
		MX	xxxmail.xxx.ro
; other stuff that does not change $ORIGIN
@		A	300.300.300.300
; zone file for xxx.ro
xxx.ro.		A	300.300.300.300

Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao