Reporting on DNS statistics

Will Yardley william-nospam-newdream-net at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Fri Feb 22 02:25:30 UTC 2002

In article <a53qvr$6r1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, George Buckman wrote:

> Has any one developed a methodology for reporting on DNS statistics?
> I would like to able to trend DNS utilization.  Looking to develop
> something that either captures the syslog statistics or utilizes the
> named.stats file and create a csv or something similar. Thought there
> might be something already out there or someone has developed a
> solution they are willing to share.

nrg, a front end for rrdtool has some provision for this.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/
(rrdtool - you might check some of the other front ends for rrdtool as
well)

here's a shot of a graph of dns query rate done by nrg and rrdtool:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/gallery/steve-01.html

http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/
(nrg home page)

the nrg plugin uses something to collect the named.stats file and then
puts it in a round robin database.

nrg can then create graphs based on the data here.