List my domains

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Feb 21 14:42:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:37:41AM +0000, Fred Viles wrote:
> But for this, all you need to do is run a whois query for each zone
> name in your named.conf.  You could write a script to automate this.

I haven't been following this thread, but ...

WHOIS records do not automatically track DNS records.  If the same
person who neglected to notify their previous ISP also neglected to
update the NIC that carries their WHOIS records, this may not work.

I stress: WHOIS records have nothing to do with DNS, unless people make
sure that the information in them is the same.  This is a manual
process [unless some registrar has automated it as part of their
internal process, in which case: good for them!].

However, the ISP can check with the TLD servers to see whether they
believe that the ISP is still the domain's server.  If not, the ISP
should feel free to wipe them out.

I believe several of the DNS checking programs mentioned frequently
here will do that for you.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B